Friday, September 7, 2007

Paperback 12: Gold Medal d1408

Paperback 12: Gold Medal d1408 (PBO, 1964)

Title: General Douglas MacArthur
Author: Bob Considine
Cover artist: photo

Yours for: $15

Best things about this cover:

  • Sorry about this one, guys; it's pretty dull, but I gotta get them all up - the good, bad, and ugly
  • If you dig men in uniform, this cover is hot
  • If you dig corn cob pipes, this cover is hot (you can actually count the kernels of corn on that damned pipe, that's how authentically corncobby it is)

The back cover is a little bit more interesting...

Not sure which is sillier, the one where he has a live fox tied around his neck, or the badly framed shot of him in the furry earflap cap.

One thing I will say about this book: it is pristine. There's a bit of yellowing from age, but otherwise, the book has not been read, or even opened, as far as I can tell. It's the kind of crisp where I can barely bring myself to lift the front cover to peek inside and get pertinent printing info. If only most of my prettier books were this tight.

Onward to more exciting covers!

RP

3 comments:

Orange said...

I dunno. You think the people who find men in uniform to be hot could actually be moved by Corncob Popeye here?

Rex Parker said...

From a certain angle ... people of a certain predilection ... yes. Probably. Yes.

Orange said...

Eh, what do I know? I do not care for a man in uniform. Maybe Senator Craig does!

More important, this is a book you need. Thomas Allen cut out (!) figures from pulp covers, took pictures of 'em, and made a book.