Sunday, January 4, 2009

Paperback 183: Death is the Last Lover / Henry Kane (Avon T-291)

Paperback 183: Avon T-291 (PBO, 1959)

Title: Death is the Last Lover
Author: Henry Kane
Cover artist: uncredited

Yours for: $13


Best things about this cover:

  • The color scheme. It's gutsy - pink, baby blue, and then ... some kind of maroon
  • The title - sensationalist writing at its best / worst. Does she literally sleep with Death, or does her John kill her, or what?
  • Thank god Death was her last lover - that makes a much better title than "Herb the Copier Salesman from Wichita is the Last Lover"
  • Her face is unfortunate. The painting makes her look vapid, which is inherently unsexy. I do dig that oversized hat box she's sitting on, though. Her legs and cleavage aren't awful either.

Best things about this back cover:

  • Personally, I like "bosoms and brandies" with pretty much anything.
  • That negligee has too many adjectives. It stopped being sexy right around adjective #3
  • Oh look, it's that insipid face again. Nope, it's no sexier in blue tone.

Page 123~

I sat near her, enjoying the warmth of her thigh. "Honey," I said, "you're a nice, sweet, attractive gal, and I'm crazy about you."

"Yeah, I remember," she said.


Wow, she talks a lot cooler than she looks.

3 comments:

Little Lj said...

This is such a girly thing to say, but that book sure would look good with the colour scheme of my bedroom decor!

Anonymous said...

What the heck are "high-heeled lounging shoes"? And is that what she is seductively removing (or putting on)? The woman on the cover also seems to be wearing bicycle pants under her robe.

Kane appears to be overly fond of multiple adjectives. Not only do we have the over-described negligee, but also the redundant "short, snub-nosed automatic" and, on page 123, "a nice, sweet, attractive gal".

Doug said...

Hey Rex - Discovered your blog via our Tuesday Weld
connection. Just gotta tell you, I love it. I've posted a few pulp covers from my collection over at my blog,
but they pale in comparison to your incredible collection. Keep up the great work! I've added a link to your blog from mine as well.