Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Paperback 184: The Case of the Haunted Husband / Erle Stanley Gardner (Pocket Books 4512)

Paperback 184: Pocket Books 4512 (11th ptg, 1962)

Title: The Case of the Haunted Husband
Author: Erle Stanley Gardner
Cover artist: McGinnis or an imitator

Yours for: $8


Best things about this front cover:

  • "Well, hello there, Tall, Dark and ... Immaterial."
  • I think she is the one being haunted. Not to nitpick, but ...
  • "Even after death, Steve was an abusive alcoholic asshole" - seriously, he's totally going to throw that miniscule, undead martini in her face
  • I love McGinnis and McGinnis-esque women; I can never tell what age they are - they have young women's bodies, I guess, but there's a maturity to them that is world-wise and dead sexy. Women, not girls.
  • This woman, while very hot, has some evolutionary defect, as her right "hand" is clearly some kind of withered, three-fingered claw / lizard appendage.
  • The early 60's were all about the Down Arrow! Why, who can forget Paperback 181 ...?


Best things about this back cover:

  • Random arm!
  • I question the editorial decision to leave back-cover readers with the word "stink" lingering in the air

Page 123~

"Did you examine the steering wheel of the car to see whether there were any traces of lipstick on it?"


Sometimes I like to put lipstick on my steering wheel ... you know, so I'll have someone (imaginary) to talk to on the way to work.

~RP

5 comments:

warren said...

Huh. Well, better the steering wheel than the stick shift, I suppose.

pious agnostic said...

Seriously, I love me some Perry, but I wonder what circumstances made that a reasonable question?

"Your client claimed that she was applying lipstick on the way to work, when her hand slipped and accidentally marked the steering wheel. If true, it will completely exonerate her in the murder. Too bad there's no possible way we could corroborate her story!"

Belvoir said...

The Merry Widow seems to be gleefully saying, "Yeah, yeah, run along now, late abusive alcoholic husband's ghost, I've got someone coming over. Buh-bye."

Anonymous said...

Would it be really cheesy of me to say I kinda like her dress?


"By the way, honey, while you're ectoplasmically projecting there. See all those thick cobwebs hanging down behind you? Could you clean those away for me? You know how I hate to get dirty in these heels. Thanks. Love you! Mean it."

Michael5000 said...

1. When accused of showing up in the proximity of too many murders, "Don't be silly" is the perfect response!

2. Aren't the authorities SUPPOSED to raise "a stink" when murdered bodies are found? Would Tragg rather have the whole thing hushed up?