Sunday, January 18, 2009

Paperback 189: The Sound and the Fury / William Faulkner (Signet D1628)

Paperback 189: Signet D1628 (1st ptg, 1959)

Title: The Sound and the Fury
Author: William Faulkner
Cover artist: photo

Yours for: SOLD! (1/19/09)


Best things about this cover:

  • Best thing? Hmmm. I can't decide. It's either the sound or the fury.
  • I see the "Fury" (Yul Brenner tries to strangle Joanne Woodward) - the "Sound"? I guess it's the sound of me gasping at the sight of Yul Brenner with hair.
  • This blue tint is so dark that it renders the picture almost irrelevant. I love the hand-drawn fon on the title. Makes the book look like an adaptation of a wacky Disney movie.

Best things about this back cover:

  • "DECAY" - Why would I read any farther after that? That is perhaps the best single-word tagline I've ever seen on a book. And the bright, whimsical font! Inspired.
  • By the picture, I would surmise that this is the story of an aging pirate with a bad hairpiece and massive pit stains who wants nothing more than for Maria from "Sound of Music" to admire his chest hair.

Page 123~

"Oh, forget your damned clothes. Does your eye hurt?"


I can't believe I just Page 123'd William Faulkner. John Faulkner, sure, but William? The indignity!

~RP

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rex, do you have a guide to the illustrations that make up your logo?
I'm especially intrigued by the redhead, just to the left of the word "sensation", holding a towel and a gun. Now, that's a book I'd buy!

Anonymous said...

You mean "Wild to possess?"
http://salmongutter.blogspot.com/2008/01/paperback-65-wild-to-possess-gil-brewer.html

Unfortunately, it's already sold.

G said...

God, those sweaty, bald aging pirates get me EVERY TIME. Rowr.