Sunday, September 27, 2009

Paperback 293: Give 'Em the Ax / A. A. Fair (Dell 389)

Paperback 293: Dell 389 (1st ptg, ca. 1952)

Title: Give 'Em the Ax
Author: A. A. Fair (Erle Stanley Gardner)
Cover artist: uncredited

Yours for: $22

Just received this book in the mail as a gift from a generous reader, C. Cope of Weatherford, TX. I already own it, but am psyched because now I have a copy to read. I'll get right on it, right after I finish rereading "The Long Goodbye" for the umpteenth time (teaching it this week). The copy offered here is from my original collection.


Best things about this cover:

  • Gams. Heels, hosiery seams ... the works.
  • World's shallowest bathtub.
  • Where is the ax that she gave him? I wish I could see it.
  • What kind of skirt is that? Looks like a pelt of some kind.
  • They killed Big Bird to make that bath mat.
  • I love the horrid realism of that guy's face folds.

Best things about this back cover:
  • Mapback! Always awesome.
  • When I open a gin joint, it will be called "Rimley's Rendezvous." Actually, scratch that. Too many syllables, a little too French. Still, it's colorful.
  • This is like some architect's sketch pad — an architect preparing to enter a "Best Rectangular Shape-Drawing" contest.
  • Love love love the bungalow-style old skool motel. Motels are the bestest of all crime novel settings.

Page 123~

Bertha's jaw was pressed forward like the prow of a battleship. "What's your proposition?" she said ominously.


If you've ever read a Lam & Cool mystery, then you know Bertha Cool is not to be @#$#ed with. She's ... imposing. 165 lbs and "hard as barbed wire." I really like Gardner's Lam/Cool stuff. Perry Mason, not so much, though, to be fair, I haven't read a Mason novel in a long, long time. Maybe it would hold my interest better now.

~RP

11 comments:

Alix said...

The title is just seconds away from running all over the page -- that's a font with *no* self-control.

Damn, that keyhole icon is creepy!

Are we to infer that Bertha's imposing because of her 165 pounds? I take umbrage.

Brian Busby said...

Blood, blackmail, beauty and a plot that takes us to a venetian blind factory! Who could ask for more?

Lisa in Oz said...

That map is made of pure awesome. And now I wish my last name was Cool.

Anonymous said...

The guys pose reminds me of that painting "The Death of Marat"

Eunice said...

I love how her legs seem more annoyed than murderous or horrified (that's right, I read gams). "Dang it, Jason Robards passed out in my tub again! *huff*"

For being axed he looks rather... clean? More like he was punched.

I can't imagine a woman wearing that skirt with those shoes.

At first I thought the Rendezvous was the layout of the Factory. 'A bar and orchestra? That's a pretty swank Venetian Blind Factory.'

Mo said...

Is Bertha's middle name "the", and is she a Miles Davis fan?

Deb said...

Mo is full of WIN today!

Mo said...

Thank you, Deb ;-)

Elaine said...

My first pair of nylons had seams up the backs ...and it's really difficult to get them this straight! However, she would have RUN OUT of nylon with a skirt that short; we'd be seeing the dark tops and garter belt fasteners. In fact, that's probably what killed Frank Sinatra, who appears to have suffered a penetrating wound to the chest. Give 'em the ICEPICK!

Michael5000 said...

Anonymous beat me to it: our cover artist was definitely cribbing from "Death of Marat."

Anonymous said...

Whether its Bollywood saree, Tollywood saree or sexy saree. All photos can be found at once place, called saree point. This website gives you latest saree photos and saree news. This Sari website has been divided into 3 parts. One gives latest Sari information and photos while the second section provides Bollywood saree information. While the third section have Sari Model photos and information.sari