Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Paperback 680: The Lady Regrets / James M. Fox (Dell 338)

Paperback 680: Dell 338 (1st ptg, 1949)

Title: The Lady Regrets
Author: James M. Fox
Cover artist: Uncredited

Yours for: $11

Dell338

Best things about this cover:

  • Unexpected dog attack! I imagine these are actors on a movie set and the dog has *nothing* to do with the picture. Which would explain ... everything.
  • The rarely seen Male Fear Hand!
  • Her boobs are upset that they have been so dramatically upstaged.
  • This cover has done the impossible, which is to offer me bondage and have me barely even notice said bondage. Angry dog trumps all.
  • That dog is highly opposed to the copping of feels.
  • "Black Room Murder" sounds made-up. If you google it (in quotes) you get several references to this book.


Dell338bc

Best things about this back cover:

  • Los Angeles!
  • Possibly the most satellite-like Mapback I've ever seen. It's just ... lines. I (still) love it.
  • "A Grim Game of Find-The-Girl" = awesome description of half of all hard-boiled crime stories.


Page 123~

"So now you know, Jackson," I said, stepping on the cigarette butt to kill it.

If I focus on just this sentence, I can persuasively argue that this book is exceedingly well written.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A hideout in Pasadena has to be the most whitebread crime drama element ever.

DemetriosX said...

I'm kind of confused by "Flintridge, Pasadena." Flintridge was never part of Pasadena as far as I know (these days it's merged with La Cañada).

The map is good, but there's a lot of waste space. They could easily have zoomed in, dropped everything north of Burbank and south of Baldwin Hills.

M and A said...

This cover also features the ultra-rare Dog Fear Paw.