Monday, February 17, 2014

Paperback 743: The High Window / Raymond Chandler (Pocket Books 320)

Paperback 743: Pocket Books 342 (1st ptg, 1945)

Title: The High Window
Author: Raymond Chandler
Cover artist: E. McKnight Kuffer

Yours for: $8

Pocket320

Best things about this cover:
  • Well, they can't all be sexy. 
  • As abstract/representational hybrid covers go, this one's pretty cool (is there a word for that style? pretty common on '40s paperbacks). There's a nice dramatic interplay between that angry red building, with its crazily barred windows, and the lonely falling silhouette.
  • This guy's got a weird signature. Had to look it up. I think the letters read "E MCK K" (for E. McKnight Kuffer)
  • For a more, let's say, realistic version of this cover, see Paperback 91.

Pocket320bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • This description is just a mess of "things that might appear in a mystery novel." Not even much of an attempt to take it out of list form.
  • Not sure what number incarnation of the pocket kangaroo we're up to here, but I like this one, with the joey holding the book for bespectacled mom.
  • Other war-time books tell you exactly what postage you'll need to send the book to a soldier. Here, the plea is much vaguer. Can I "share" it with my diner waitress? She's in "uniform."

Page 123~

I felt myself getting pinched around the nose. My mouth felt dry. I needed air. I took another deep breath and another dive into the tub of blubber that was sitting across the room from me on the reed chaise-longue, looking as unperturbed as a bank president refusing a loan.

My new life's goal is to own a reed chaise-longue. Wait. Nope. On further research, it looks like a rickshaw for Victorian invalids, so I'm good.


~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

2 comments:

Jean said...

So it does. I'm pretty sure Rosemary Sutcliff spent much of her life in a very similar contraption.

DemetriosX said...

Again with "Another Philip Marlowe Mystery". I don't know why that bothers me so much.

Was Pocket having trademark problems or imitators? There are at least 3 versions of the logo on this book (and maybe another on the spine?), plus the assertion that "This is a GENUINE Pocket book" across the top.