Saturday, November 1, 2014

Other Books, Other Covers: Grendel / John Gardner (Ballanatine 28865)

Title: Grendel
Author: John Gardner
Cover artist: Michael Leonard
Illustrated by: Emil Antonucci

Estimated value: a few bucks

BB28865
[Happy belated Halloween!]

BB28865bc
[Wraparound! Medieval King Kong's got some flexible toes.]

Page 123~
I snatch up a stone and hurl it. It smashes his mouth, spraying out teeth, and penetrates to the jugular. He drops to his knees, gets up again. The air is sweet with the scent of his blood. Death shakes his body the way high wind shakes trees. He climbs toward me. I snatch up a stone.
~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the same John Gardner who wrote the James Bond novels? I loved those!! I wouldn't mind taking a gander at this book.

Rex Parker said...

Oh, no. No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gardner_(American_writer)

John "Ol' Chumbucket" Baur said...

I used to own this, way back when! Good book. Not great, but very good. A twisted look at a legend. And a VERY cool cover.

Jean said...

How can a thrown rock both smash teeth AND slice the jugular? And then the animal keeps coming?

Bram said...

Remember this from my Dad's bookshelf — an amazing, evocative cover.

Read it years later and, well …

(ha! and the captcha's the old home address!)